Healthy families build strong communities. Yet a rapidly changing economy has created conditions that have badly hurt many American families. Part-time and freelance employment are replacing permanent jobs with benefits and workplace pressures increase even as our social safety net has been weakened. Policymakers are ripping apart immigrant families without regard for their contributions.
We must embrace and directly support real family values: not the fake rhetoric that for too long has passed as family values. Among them:
- Easing the tax burden on middle-class families, not just on the wealthy
- Fostering small & family-run businesses
- Easing access to child care
- Providing for paid family leave when a baby arrives, a child falls ill, or an aging parent experiences a medical emergency
- Assuring all families have access to health care
- Protecting marriage equality